I currently work closely with Bradford University to enhance the employability of their students. In partnership, we connect with local small businesses and support them in taking on placements to deliver positive results.
The activities seek to achieve the following:
- Increase engagement of local small businesses with the University
- Increase the number of local small businesses who take a student on placement, as intern or employee
- Make it the University of Choice for these local businesses
- Educate smaller businesses on the value students and graduates can bring to their business
- Raise awareness of the University’s track record and strengths in delivering employability
- Improve employability of students so they are “business ready” with transferable skills
- Increase students’ and graduates awareness of the benefits of working in smaller businesses
My role is as a broker between the University and business owner. I understand the aims of the University and having managed projects in blue chip companies before, can run a project with them to achieve the aims.
My background has been in business so I talk the language of the small business owner and understand their problems. I can help the owner determine how best they can improve their business performance through the smart use of a student.