The cost and ease of capturing & accessing detailed information to make informed decision is getting cheaper as technology advances.
Sooner or later, your competitors will use it to their advantage. Do you know which products or services generate the best margin? Why does the company lose out on so many quotes? Who visits your website & what do they look at?
The tools & apps are available for the small business owner to answer the most granular of questions. The challenge is having a disciplined process for your staff capturing the required data only once then storing this in one place for shared access across the company. Now remote access via tablet & mobile is the norm, it is important for data to be gathered & uploaded straight after every sales related meeting.
Analytical graduates enjoy improving the efficiency of business systems & processes. The accuracy of the information they analyse is only as good as the quality of data captured.
Projects have included:
- analysing monthly margin %’s on sales orders by customer & by product in Excel
- introducing a document management system to meet customer demands for improved traceability
- compiling & agreeing the annual overhead budgets with budgetholders
- analysing financial data to support a Board meeting presentation
- ageing of all stock to support a decision on slow moving lines
- extracting & improving the quality of customer data to support an email marketing campaign
Do you like the idea of supporting the commercial decision making in the business with your analysis? Do you enjoy improving systems & processes? If so I’d like to hear from you.